Saturday, September 3, 2016

Generous Compassionate Hope

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”  {Luke 23:13-15}

 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ {Acts 20:35}

…………………………………………………….

We recently went through a short series with our youth about greed.  It stood out as something I definitely need to remember and also, something I hope to always teach Mollie. 

The gist is… Greed will ultimately make you miserable.  To break the “gotta have everything…. and right now” selfish mentality that is so prevalent these days, we need to do three things:

1.  We have to offer generosity and increase the joy in our lives. 

2.  We need to pay attention to those around us and show compassion in any situation. 

3.  We need to offer the hope of Jesus to the world around us.

Image result for Matthew 9:36

People are always wanting more.  It doesn’t matter what it is… money, clothes, electronics, make-up, cars, boats, houses, vacations… if it isn’t more of Jesus, there is probably a problem.  When this issue of greed comes up, I always think about seeing my friends sell everything they own and move to China to be missionaries.   It’s gut check time when you have to choose one tub of things to keep out of your whole house.  One tub, people!  How Christ-focused do you have to be to do that?  It is an awesome gauge to use…. ask yourself, if I was asked to give this up, would I be able to?  When the answer is no, you have become consumed with something that isn’t worth your time.  And then the more you have, the more it takes… or the more you want.

Greed will eventually steal your happiness.  Steal the joy that should radiate your life (if you know Christ).  And the easiest way to cure greed…. is to give.  Being generous is a wonderful trait!  One that I strive to have in my life.  And, one I’m constantly trying to teach Mollie.  I am blessed to know several generous people in my life but I would say my best friend Melissa, is the most generous person I know. 

She gives so much of herself and asks nothing in return.  I have seen her selfless attitude first hand so many times…. She gives her time endlessly to ministries at church.  Now that she has a great women’s ministry off the ground, she is starting a children’s ministry from scratch.  She gives her money to people in need or ministries at church, even when she needs it herself.  She gives her undivided attention to everyone she talks to… and plays with every baby or kid around.  Just last night I watched her play “Anna and Elsa” with my daughter through a whole football game.  And lastly, she gives her influence…. being open to talk to others about things she’s learned.

I know first hand that it is such a blessing to have someone like this in your life.  If we give of ourselves to others, joy will come.  And if we pay attention to needs and look for ways to meet people where they are, greed will melt away.  And if we can somehow spread the hope we have in Jesus… there are no limits to the blessings that will fall.

The challenge to take away is this….. Ask yourself where you can practice generosity… with your time…. with your money…. with your attention… with your stuff…. with your influence???  And make a conscious effort to get over whatever is holding you back and do it!  Always remember that the people around you need compassion.  Look for ways to serve them, help them, or stand up for them.  And pray that God would help you shine His light and show hope to someone that needs it.  If you take the time to look around, I promise there is someone right in front of you that is craving a generous act, compassionate smile, or word of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment