Thursday, September 20, 2012

What’s in a Name?

Naming a child is hard.  I was very impatient with my good friend Gina, when she couldn’t pick a name for her little girl, but now I completely understand.  It’s hard!  All that keeps going through my mind is Romeo and Juliet.  Why?  I don’t know, but this is what I have been thinking about…

Claire-Danes-Romeo-Juliet

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

.

Weird I know.  I was wondering for a little while if our daughter should be called Rose. ha.  But in the end I used my better judgment and realized what I think good ‘ol Shakespeare meant...  If a rose was called something else it would still be a sweet smelling, beautiful flower.

That helped me to realize that what we named our daughter wouldn’t make her who she is.  She will be who she is no matter what.  (Sorry if you can’t follow the rants of a crazy pregnant person)  So, it took a little pressure off, and Nate and I finally chose a name!

My favorite name was Anna.  He hated it.  His favorite name was Nora.  I don’t hate it, but I don’t like it enough.  So we compromised and said nobody gets their first choice.  We went through baby name books, websites, family names, graduation programs, and yearbooks.  It was a long process for me.  I didn’t want to decide on something and then wish I had thought of something different, ya know?

We had her name in our heads all along.  It is kind of like choosing a wedding dress.  You love the first one, but just have to try on 100 more before you go back to buy the first dress.

This was going to be her name all along, so why keep looking.  So around the last of November or the first of December we will be so excited to welcome, our precious daughter…

Mollie Grace We love old names that are coming back, so we decided on Mollie.  It is pretty precious, and it is also my two best friends names combined (Melissa and Hollie).  I hope that when I tell her that someday she will understand how important good friends are in your life, and that she will always be surrounded by wonderful uplifting friends.  God doesn’t expect us to go through life alone… He puts people in our paths to help us along the way.

For her middle name, Nate and I have always loved the name Grace.  No matter what we named her, her middle name was always going to be Grace.  It is fitting for little Miss Mollie, because we earnestly prayed for her for over a year before she was even conceived.  It is only by God’s wonderful grace that she is a part of our family.  We don’t deserve to have answered prayers, and will always be grateful to have a daughter.  I hope she comes to know God at an early age and always relies on His grace, just like her parents.

We love you Mollie Grace!  And can’t wait to meet you in just a few more short weeks!

Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment