Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why Do We Suffer?

On July 29, 2011, I got a call with some shocking news.  One of my best high school friends was killed in a motorcycle accident while on vacation in Hawaii.  It makes me realize how fragile and temporary life really is, but more than that it makes me thankful that I have the hope of an eternity in heaven.  I also know that Kristin had that hope in her life, and lived out her faith.
.

.
I don't think of high school without thinking about Kristin and everything she meant to me.  We had a lot in common and were always dreaming of our futures.  When we were in 8th grade we drew out a picture of how we wanted our lives to go (below)... hers with JD and mine with Nate... It is pretty remarkable that both of our dreams came true when we married the men we started dating in 8th grade (and are still married to them).  It is also heart breaking to know that Kristin's plans for a family with JD will never come to be, and I feel a little guilty that I still have that chance.
.

(Notice the details... We are pregnant, and those are churches in the background where Nate and JD are youth pastors)
Kristin had a way with people, and was friends with everyone.  She didn't overlook the outcasts and had a smile and laugh that lit up the room.  I will never forget some of her looks and one she would always give me when she sang on stage.... kind of a "I'm doing this because you pressured me, but I love it" thing.  She used her singing talents for the Lord, and will leave a lasting impression on everyone that ever got to listen.  I will also always remember her fun, shoot me in the arm, personality.  She took me to Hooters on my 19th birthday just to see my face turn red.  I woke her up on her wedding day and documented everything, and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding. And, I will forever count her as one of my best friends.
.

I know that Kristin's life was not wasted and am very happy to have the peace that she is in heaven right now in the very presence of Jesus, who she loved so much.  I also know that she would want the love of her Heavenly Father to be preached a little, and this sermon from a few weeks ago has been on my mind, so here goes....

Why We Suffer?
*Suffering is a normal part of being a Christian... but the suffering doesn't win!

4 Reasons We Suffer As Christians
1- Sometimes we suffer for the cause of Christ.
"We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.  For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that His life may be revealed in our mortal body."
-2 Cor. 4:10-11

"...though now for a little while you may have to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that your faith - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."
-1 Peter 1:6-7

When we suffer the right way: we start to look more like Christ, and God is glorified.

2-Sometimes we suffer for the benefit of others
"We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is for your perfection (salvation)."
-2 Cor. 13:9

We want others to notice our perfect peace in difficult times.  People should say, "look at the way the handled ____."
The difficult times set us, as Christians, apart from other moral people.

3-Sometimes we suffer for our own inner renewal.
"Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
-2 Cor. 4:16

As we get older, our body wears out more and more, but your relationship with God should be growing more and more.

"Jesus Said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me..... For when I am weak, then I am strong."
-2 Cor. 12:9-10

4- We suffer because our treasure is in heaven.
"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
-2 Cor 4: 17-18
.
.
Kristin had a personal relationship with Christ.  She understood that there is life after death.  If you have questions about your eternity, get it figured out today.  You are not a Christian just because, you were born in America or because you're a good person.  Don't be sad for Kristin because she isn't up in Heaven wishing she was here on earth.... But seriously examine your own heart and make sure you will be seeing her again.



4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you write it out. I am so sorry for your loss. When I heard about it you were the first person that crossed my mind. I am proud of you whit. I am praying for everyone that loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your heart. Praying for you specifically girl. I know she was a best friend to many throughout the years and still remains one. I agree that she would want you to preach a little! Great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sermon! After seeing everyone's attitudes at the service yesterday, I have been thinking on the same things. I fee so proud of JD and the family. It would be so easy to fall apart under that kind of tragedy, but they have not let themselves forget who is in control. I just love all y'all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, crawdadsinmysink is Heather (Condict) Brown. I don't know how to do the internet, I guess.

    ReplyDelete