Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sum, Sum, Summer Time…

I was looking back on my last like 20 posts and they are all about our baby girl.  Can you tell what I am thinking about most days? ha

I need to get back on track with what’s been going on in our lives.  For some reason, this summer has been crazy.  We do the same amount of youth stuff every summer, sometimes even more than this summer, but for some reason… this summer has been a little overwhelming.  When we were at a larger church, we even took two mission trips instead of one.  I must be getting super old, because the thought of leaving my house for another week makes me want to cry.  I’ll just chalk those emotions up to pregnancy ;)

Anyway, despite my lack of energy, we have had a great summer!  It has been hot… I mean oober hot with a side of sweat.  (You can’t step outside for more than 10 seconds and not sweat.)  But at the same time we got to spend a lot of time together and with our friends and youth. 

Get ready for the mother of all recaps…

May 23-27 --- First there was Nate’s first day of vacation this year.  It was of course for the Big Twelve Baseball Tournament. 

015 photo

We go to it every year and look forward to it every year.  We watched around 12 baseball games, and enjoyed just relaxing at the ballpark.  Nate has basically been in charge of everything at church for a while now, so he needed a small break in the worst way.

 

May 28 ---  Memorial Day.  We went over to Zack and Hollie’s for the annual cook out and it was just a great relaxed time with friends.

We couldn’t talk the boys into playing any games, so we just ate and talked.  It was a little hard for me to hide being pregnant at this point, but I made it through a whole day with my best friends without saying something.

 

May 30 --- Falls Creek Bash

003 (2)

Nate and I sumo wrestled for the first time. I think I got a concussion from the first hit.

 

June 1-20 --- The “calm” before the storm.  If this is calm:  we were busy at church getting ready for our new pastor, going to business meetings, putting on a wedding, telling the world we are going to have a baby, going to the doctor, having youth outings, and stopping by the Whitney family reunion.

 

June 24-30 --- Falls Creek

Our biggest week of the summer.  It was jump started with a bunch of van problems and ended with some more van problems, but it was a great week in between!

me n hol

We focused on prayer and learned about different ways to pray.  We had a few decisions in our cabin and will get to see one student baptized this Sunday, because of what happened at Falls Creek.  That makes everything worth it!

 

July 1-5 --- We were working hard to get ready for Minneapolis.  The other secretary was off so I had to work all day everyday… boo.  And we had our big ultrasound!  Not much Fourth of July celebrating went on in our house…. we were already too tired.

 

July 8-14 --- Mission Minneapolis

The second biggest week of our summer!  It was a wonderful trip where we headed north to help a new church plant.  We spent the week telling people about Lexington Community Church while sitting at a grocery store, doing a car wash, and a block party.

022 (2) 044

We worked with powerplant again, so every day we were also getting in tons of Bible study and group time.  We really got to know each other and I think everybody took home some life-changing memories.

046 (2) 122

 

July 15-21 --- We welcome our new pastor at church, get ready for VBS, go to the doctor, and Nate spends every night at the church (until 11pm) putting in a new sound system.

 

July 22-27 --- Vacation Bible School

We followed around a bunch of 4th and 5th graders.  It wasn’t much work, but just being at the church every day and then every night til 9:00 made me exhausted.

017

Katrina is tiny pregnant here.  I am like a jumbo elephant next to her.

 

July 28-29 --- Melissa’s Baby Shower for Duncan

032 090

I was super excited to help with this shower for one of my best friends.  She is always doing things for other people, so it felt good to do something for her.  Baby Duncan will be here in a few/couple short weeks!

I was a little obsessive about this shower.  Pregnancy has made me OCD and a little selfish.  I spent the majority of the day on Friday making this tub…

018

It was worth it though, because she loved it!  Yeah!

 

And now, July 30-August 2 --- Our first semi-normal week!  I am working my normal hours and Nate isn’t up at the church late.  It has been wonderful going home everyday.  And the Olympics started so we have thoroughly enjoyed staying home and taking in all the swimming and volleyball we can.

We are looking forward to things slowing down a little, and are grateful for all the safety God gave us this summer.  School starts on the 16th, so bring on the cold football games!

~Whitney~

1 comment:

  1. Your summer sounds a lot like our summer! It's the busiest time of year for a youth minister.... well, until school starts (football games, fall retreat, SYATP, etc.).... or until the holidays (basketball games, christmas parties, winter retreat, etc.).... or maybe around graduation....Ok, lets face it, life never slows down! Haha!

    ReplyDelete