Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Best Chocolate Cake I’ve Ever Made

Something great has happened…. I am into cooking again!  I have always loved to cook, but the whole living in my brother’s barn for a couple months and then living in the mission house for ten months ruined me.  I have been useless in the kitchen for the past two years.
Now that we are all settled and I feel like my old self again….. along with all the great recipes I am finding on Pinterest…. I am cooking up a storm.  I’m sure Nate is happy about this recent change too….. cause we really have been living off of cereal and sandwiches.
Anyway, the other night we went over to our friend’s house and I made the best chocolate cake I have ever made!  It was so chocolate-y, moist, creamy, and wonderful…. Mmmm.  My mouth is kinda watering thinking about it.  Usually when I would try to make cakes from scratch, I could taste the flour…. This is not the case with this cake.  And the icing… best simple chocolate icing ever!

005

On to the recipe for The Best Chocolate Cake Ever:
1 3/4 C all purpose flour
2 C sugar
3/4 C cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C strong black coffee, cooled
1 C buttermilk
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Frosting:
1/2 C margarine, softened
2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled
3 C powdered sugar
3 Tbsp milk
2 real vanilla extract

Directions
1.  Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2.  Add eggs, coffee, buttemilk, oil, and vanilla.
3.  Beat at medium speed for two minutes.  Batter will be thin.
4.  Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan or two 9 inch cake pans.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes for a 9x13, or 30-35 minutes for layer pans.
6.  Combine frosting ingredients and mix.  Spread frosting on cooled cake.

Next time you need to make a chocolate cake… make this.  You won’t be disappointed.  The effort is totally worth it.  And don’t worry about the 1 C coffee….you can’t taste it at all.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment