Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Selfish Prayers?

Yesterday I was reading the book Forgotten God by Francis Chan (If you haven't read Crazy Love read it) and an interesting verse stood out to me.

"You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God.
When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." -James 4:2-3 NIV
"You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way. You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."
-James 4:3-3 The Message
Everyone knows that we have been praying for our house to sell for over six months now, and we have a lot of people praying for it too. Have all my prayers been selfish? How do I pray for my house to sell unfelfishly?
This morning I prayed, God let our lives glorify You whether we are in our own house with our own stuff or not.
Then I found myself telling God that we would use a new house to glorify Him.... One of my favorite things to do is have people over to play games or watch movies. We would get to know the youth and our new friends so much better and be able to really minister here in Yukon. haha.... I guess my prayers for our house to sell really have been selfish.
From now on I will only pray for God's will to be done and not mine concerning our house. I will do my best to not focus on where I am living, but why we are here and the youth I want to get to know so much more.
Are your prayers selfish sometimes, or am I the only one?

No comments:

Post a Comment