Saturday, June 3, 2017

Reed’s Birthday!

Reed’s Birth Story

Reed Isaac McConathy

May 31, 2017

8 lbs. 13 oz. ~ 19.5 in.


I thought this day was never going to come.  I was sure that he would be early… as I felt farther along the entire pregnancy.  It was seriously rough for me.  If there was a “pregnancy symptom” I had it… I mean everything!  I knew that we would have a precious baby at the end so I kept pretty positive, remembering that each day was a blessing.

The last month was super hard.  Moving my pinkie finger hurt…. and I was sure that he would come before June.  I had 38 weeks on my mind the entire time because that is when Mollie was born.  Well, 38 weeks came… and nothing.  I knew that I was in “pre-term labor” as they like to call it…. there were pretty painful contractions every night.  I couldn’t sleep a wink.  When week 39 rolled around I was certain that it would happen…. I felt totally ready…. I knew in my heart that Reed was totally ready… just thought I needed some help.

I called my doctor and she agreed.  There was not much movement down there but all the labor signs were happening.  I wasn’t sure I liked the idea of being induced but I knew we were all ready.  Also… I explained how my father-in-law was going out of the country on Friday and we wanted him to meet his grandson before he went.

So…. Grandma and Papa came up super early to be at our house when Mollie woke up and we walked into the Women’s Center on Wednesday, May 31 at <7am> to be induced. 

IMG_6983IMG_6985

So, this was the day before my due date… I was 39 weeks and 6 days and ready to pop!  I had been dilated to a 4 for the entire week before.

<7:10am> I took a quick shower with some special soap… my second shower of the day… and got all hooked up.  The nurses had me filling out paperwork and answering all kinds of questions.  They definitely didn’t waste any time.  I didn’t know that when they put in the IV, they also take some blood… this was the worst part of the whole thing… I totally almost passed out and we found out later that my blood pressure went way down, like 80/50 or something. Ah!

<7:15am> Started a very small amount of petocin and things started to progress very fast!  They came in every 30 minutes to up the amount.

<8:00am>  Dr. Schrop came in to break my water.  She could feel Reed’s head already and said it was moving around like crazy.  Was already dilated to 6… and just like with Mollie, as soon as my water broke I started to feel the contractions more.

<8:20am>  My favorite person at the hospital, the anesthesiologist arrived and gave the epidural.  After the IV, this was no big deal and I felt immediate relief.  From here, they upped the pitocin a tad, and told me to let them know if I felt the urge to push.

IMG_2368IMG_2367

My epidural was working great at first… but I could still feel my entire left side.  It was somewhat numb, but definitely not like it was with Mollie.  Around <11:00am> I was dilated to a 9 and at <11:30am> I was ready and waiting on Dr. Schrop.  She was in surgery so I was instructed to lay very still and try to relax.

Around <12:20pm> Dr. Schrop and about five nurses rushed in, got set up and boom… we’re a go.  After a good 10 minutes of pushing, our son was here at <12:33pm>!  Nate was on my left side and got to watch his face as he came out.  He says that it was amazing to see… I’m not so sure but he was perfect and oh so cute!  Everything was so smooth and perfect!

IMG_2369IMG_2370

As they were working to get everything cleaned up, Nate brought Mollie in to see her brother for the first time.  It was very sweet…. I’m told she went back out to the waiting room and gloated about seeing him.  After a short time and a first feeding, Reed was greeted by Grandma and Papa, and Grandmama and Granddaddy.

IMG_2390IMG_2380IMG_2384IMG_2388IMG_2414

Everything happened so fast!  It was very surreal… but Nate and I were definitely more in the moment the second time around.  It was a day we will never forget!

What a beautiful gift life is!  We could not be happier to have a precious son to share it with!  We so look forward to watching him grow and pray that he is happy, healthy and handsome inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment