Sunday, February 2, 2014

Disciple Now 2014: SURRENDER

This is probably my favorite youth event we do.  It’s a long weekend where we can just get away and grow closer to God and each other.  It’s not a whole week, so you don’t get as tired and I don’t have to leave Mollie as long.

This year, the weather was a little crazy.  We thought we were going to get snowed in at one point…  That didn’t stop us from having so much fun though!  We continued our traditions of adults vs. students dodge ball, hide-n-seek in the dark, ropes course, and having Durgan and David come from Rogers to do the music.

1902937_10100992292744387_1489975190_n 2

I love being a part of these girls’ lives and pray daily that they will see Christ’s love in me and want to know Him more!  In May, we will be saying goodbye to three special girls and one special guy.  I always hate that time… It’s like I am sending my own kids off to college.

1 

Anyways, this year we talked about SURRENDER!

*Surrender my STUFF:

  • What makes me absolutely content?
  • Do I see that I am totally rich in Jesus!
  • Don’t find security in things.
  • Is God my first love?
  • We can only have one master –> Seek first the kingdom of God
  • A desire for money leads to moral meltdown
  • Contentment is based on an awareness of God’s presence!

*Surrender my STATUS:

  • You really can’t follow God and “fit in”
  • Do I try to improve my status?
  • How do I treat the outcasts?
  • How can I put others above myself to become a servant like Jesus.

*Surrender my SIN:

  • Do I have an urgency to stop my sin?
  • Sin = Destruction
  • Sin hurts our bodies, relationships, and our souls
  • Sexual sin is more damaging because it’s mental, emotional, physical, social, and private.
  • Love + Holy Spirit = Victory over sin
  • Sin grows (example: if you go barefoot a lot, you build up calluses on your feet.  The skin “deadens” so you won’t be sensitive.  In the same way we build up calluses on our souls.  We stop feeling bad about it so it gets easier to sin.)
  • Sin finds its own society – be careful whose advise you follow
  • Sin has a cycle – sin, feel sorry, ask for forgiveness, sin… Romans 7:18-25
    • Jesus rescued us from this cycle
    • God’s spirit brings life!
  • Sin doesn’t have to define us
    • Repeat this:  I am a child of God.  I am His masterpiece.  He created me to do amazingly good things.  I want to surrender my sin and be lifted up by God to a life that is more alive that I’ve ever imagined.

*Lastly, Surrender my SELF:

  • Invest myself in what God wants
  • Serve!
  • Devos and mission trips need to be connected to a life that is connected to God.
  • “Take up your cross daily” = Surrendering everything for Him! (freedom, reputation, our very lives)
  • Let Jesus define my success!

3I was challenged to INVITE HIM TO WORK MIRACLES FROM MY MISERY and BE PATIENT AND GET TO KNOW HIM THROUGH THE PROCESS OF HEALING.  God left us here on the earth to feel through our hurts.  We can’t even understand the good He has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment